Founded on 20th May 1955, Karadeniz Technical University (KTU) is the fourth oldest university in Turkey, and the first university established outside İstanbul and Ankara. After a period of 8 years, on 19th September, 1963, the faculties of Natural Sciences, Civil Engineering-Architecture, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering and Forestry, which are the foundation stone of today's Karadeniz Technical University, were established. Four months later, on the 2nd December, 1963 the University began its educational activities. The campus site has been gradually expanding since then and, with all kinds of social, cultural and sports requirements met on site, it has turned into an outstanding site set in a green belt of woodlands and playing grounds, which makes it one of the best campus settings in the world.
Expansion of the university continued with the opening of faculties of Earth Sciences, and medicine in 1973. 12 km away from the main campus, a new campus has been established where educational faculty with many departments in a variety of teaching fields has been set up. Karadeniz Technical University is still expanding with the introduction of new departments. Faculties of communication and dentistry are the most recent academic units established. Faculties of pharmaceutical sciences and technical education are in the process of getting into active education and research.
With about 80 departments in 17 faculties, 7 institutes, 4 higher education schools, about 50 programs in 13 vocational schools, many research and application centres, about 2150 teaching staff (with about 900 holding Ph.D), and about 55000 students, Karadeniz Technical University is one of the largest universities in Turkey.